Sunday, July 20, 2008

Were back!

So, you will all have to bear with me. I feel so out of the loop and I have lots to talk about with our trip. What I am saying is.. that this is going to take more than just one post....

Our trip started out pretty eventful. Our car broke down over the Rocky Mountains just outside of Vail. Now, we just put a new transmission in this car 2months ago spending 2,500. We were pretty upset sitting there waiting for a tow truck. (and yes it was the transmission again) We finally got loaded up only to find out that there was no rental car places open at that time and the tow truck driver decided to drop us off at a Honda Dealership in Denver CO and drove off. We have the WORST luck with cars and we were tired and really in no position to make a rational decision. That is how we walked out of the Dealership at 9:00pm that night with a brand spanking new Honda Pilot. (I have pictures of our car on the tow truck and our new car but they didn't download for some reason.. So use your imagination)

After we finally got to Utah we went to Zions National Park. This place is AMAZING! We used to go every year for our family vacation but it has been a while. We hiked the Narrows, Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock and the best.. Angels Landing. If you haven't heard about this hike look it up. It is 5 miles straight up round trip and there are spots where you have 3 to 4 feet to stand on with a 1,200 ft drop off on one side and 800 ft drop off on the other side. All you have is a chain to hold on too and it is terrifying! This is NOT a hike for someone afraid of heights. Russ and I love it and we hiked it with my three brothers and my brothers wife. It was awesome!




















Here I am right at the begining of the hike. (Its about 6:00AM that is why it is dark) That big mountain behind me is the top of Angels Landing which we hiked too. This picture seriously doesn't do it justice!

















Me and my brothers! Am I lucky or what!














Here we are about to attempt the last 1/2 mile. It is a climb with only chains to save you from death. (They have about 9 people a year die on this hike..Yikes!)















































Like I said.... Drop Off!















































Here we are at the top! AMAZING!





























































































Thats Ivy asleep on Russ's back. Poor thing.





















I know, I go picture crazy... I took over 400 pic's.. Don't worry. I will try and edit.





































































































So, here are some of the pictures of Zions. I will post the rest of my trip in a day or so.... It's good to be back!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Yippe - I am so glad you are back. Cool pics, I am the same way I honestly take So many pics - but I love them! Okay your hike makes me so nervous just looking at your pictures, there is NOOOOO way in the world you could make me do that hike!!!

WrayLynn said...

Welcome back Jessica! We missed you. Sorry about the car. We have rotten luck with vehicles as well. You made me so homesick for Utah! I love Zion's and Angel's Peak is my favorite.

Tisha said...

glad you are back!!! Such great pics. I LOVE Zions!!!!!!

Babbel Family said...

I am so glad you are. It is just not the same without you.
BTW- those pictures are beautiful. I got a little anxiety looking at them though.

Anonymous said...

Aw cool zion's picts i dont think i have ever "hiked" zions before... looks like fun!

Carroll Farm said...

it was really fun to see you guys! love the new pilot - i want one.
thanks for being such a sport about letting Justice stick around - did you ever get the news through the loop of what it was? It was a UTI (and she has another one right now) and she was fighting off another virus. her blood test came back with red cells really high and everything else really low. when they checked her pulse at the ER, she was at 200 and her fever was at 106! The nurse pulled the DR from another ER case to take care of her. :)
Can't wait to see more pictures! :)

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

I'm thrilled someone else appreciates southern Utah. Both Phillip and I love Angel's Landing and all of Zions for that matter, and Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Escalante, the Uintah's etc. It's all amazing. I'm so jealous. I hope to take my boys many times. I'm kind of worried though. They get hurt when they fall off the couch. :)

Mindi said...

Jessica, I can't believe you broke down in Vail/Denver again! And you didn't call us?!