Monday, October 5, 2009

Family Night

Tonight during "family night" we discussed being prepared. Right as we sat down Russ yelled "fire drill" where we all jumped up ran outside to our family meeting spot the light post. After we were there we came back inside and talked for a bit about what to do in a fire etc then (getting the idea from the Friend magazine) we told the kids that they had two minutes to take whatever they thought they would need to be gone from the house for 72hrs. Maybe longer. After we all met in the car and drove out of the drive way we discussed what we all got. Here is the run down

Russ: Ivy and her shoes (thank goodness someone put her in the car we were all frantic)
72hr kits
keys to the car (Keys to the wrong car , luckily I had the right ones in my purse)

Jessica: Dried apples/peaches
Ivy's blanket
Diapers/wipes
Purse
Shoes

Kanyon: Blanket
Clean pair of socks
Clean pair of underwear (he has his priorities)
Shoes

Saul: Blanket
Huge box of Gold Fish crackers
Bakugan (If you don't know what these are you don't have boys)
No shoes

Eli: Blanket
Connect four game
No shoes

So if all else fails, Kanyon will have clean underwear and Saul and Eli will have a game to keep them occupied. I think we will try this again in a few weeks/months just to see if we can start to think about real survival.

6 comments:

cyrie said...

That is freaking awesome!

Holly said...

I want to be stranded with your family in an emergency. At least there will always be something fun to do.

christy said...

What a great idea. I think you guys did great. I'm going to have to try this.

Jill Freestone said...

and nobody freaked out, crying, hysteria? ! I've wanted to try that at our house, but I know my kids too well - they would freak out !!! (I'd have to prep and warn them for days and days (still on my do to list though)

Babbel Family said...

Totally going to steal that idea for next week. Oh and ya, I have NO idea what that game is, never heard of it. If I ever have a boy I am totally screwed!

Becka Beacham said...

What a great idea, we used to do that all the time. Our bedrooms were on the second floor and had this fantastic window ladders that I loved climbing down. Your boys would love something like that.