Monday, January 14, 2008

Sweet Victory!


Don't you love it when you watch your children eating something healthy and loving it. Well, normally that doesn't happen at my house. We have a son who will only eat things that are white. REALLY! He lives on milk, tortillas, cereal and bread. This is no joke! You cannot make this kid eat anything healthy. He may if we are lucky venture in to the orange color.. Cheese on his tortillas and a carrot if we really insist. I have never seen him eat anything green, until last night!
For Christmas I received a great new cook book. I was so excited about hiding veggies in everyday food I couldn't wait to get started. The concept is to cook some veggies and then puree them and add them to the food you cook. I started with squash in pancakes and the kids loved them! I actually heard "Mom, these are the best pancakes I have ever had! Music to my ears! Then I tried squash in Mac and Cheese. Not a hit! My son noticed right away that something was different and wouldn't eat it. So, I went for the squash in a grilled cheese sandwich. I began to realize that my son has a built in veggie detector. He noticed after he had eaten half of the sandwich and would not resume eating the rest... I almost was about to give up and then I thought since pancakes worked so well I would make a big deal that we were going to have green pancakes for dinner last night. I set the food coloring on the counter so they really thought that was all I was adding and I put two cups of pureed spinach in the pancakes. They LOVED them! We all did really. I hope Saul's system isn't messed up from his first experience eating something green and healthy. Russ and I had a great moment hi-fiving each other and watching our white only eater devour spinach. I will actually sleep well tonight knowing that just because he had a tortilla and white rice for dinner tonight.... Tomorrow he may be eating broccoli hidden in his chicken nuggets.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Oh I really want that book, a lady in our preschool group got it and has used it too. My birthday is April 16th for those interested in giving it to me :)

Babbel Family said...

I have that book too. I don't have a food processor though, I can't wait to get one to try these out!

Jessica said...

I just use my blender. I think a food processor would do a better job though.

Unknown said...

Seriously are they good? I think it sounds so nasty, but I know Griff would eat up Green anything - If they seriously taste good I will have to try those out - vegi's are not something my family eats well at all - good for you for doing that! We are now down to 2 days left - so see you soon!

Tisha said...

That is so cool... I definitly have to try it!

Angela said...

That is amazing! Congrats on the success!!

kelie said...

I saw her oh Oprah and was like...I don't know about that. But I think Jenna is still young and impressionable enough that it just might work. I'm headed to Amazon right now!

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

That is awesome! I saw the cookbook at Costco, and wondered about how well it would work. I decided I need to make up more creative names too. Like you could call those green monster pancakes.

Jaime said...

I have heard about this cookbook and can't wait to get one myself! Good luck with Saul! That's great that he's trying other colors! ;)

storyteller said...

I am glad I am not the only one that has veggie troubles! Keaton is so finicky and only eats things with chocolate in them!
I got this book and have so far only tried a couple of recipes. {The Spaghetti Pie was yum!} I find it is super easy to hide the extra veggies in things like spaghetti sauce.
I think I am going to try the pink pancakes next. They are made with beets. I will let you know how it goes! :)